Monday 13 January 2014

Project Life: December

I was/am a scrapbooker.  Possibly something else you didn't know about me? (This could be the year of full disclosure LOL).  When I was pregnant with my first child I became interested in scrapbooking and that interest quickly snowballed into complete obsession.  I was off work for 14 months after she was born and since she was a long napper, I had time to fill.  I filled it with cutting up paper and gluing it back together (sounds a lot like quilting!).  I took thousands upon thousands of photos and made hundreds of pages documenting her early years (If you are interested in seeing some of them you can here).


Then I got pregnant again and I found sewing.  There wasn't time for both and scrapbooking was pushed aside.  But I've missed it.  The act of scrapbooking and the way I took photos of our family when I was scrapbooking.  Sure, I've got photos of all the major life events that occurred in those years but my favorite moments to scrapbook were the day to day ones.  Bedtime stories, funny quotes, unique personality traits.



Watching Elise work on Project Life for the past several years had me intrigued.  But I didn't want to order the entire system without knowing if I could stick to it.  This past fall, I saw the kits in Michaels, and just before Christmas, my good friend mentioned she was giving it a try.  So I started buying the parts (with coupons, of course) and I started taking pictures.  Their quality is mediocre and many are iPhone photos but they are photos of our family.  By Christmas, I hadn't ordered any photos or even opened the kit.  I needed some accountability.


Hopefully you guys won't mind me sharing these layouts here once or twice a month.  I know if this post wasn't "scheduled" for today, I wouldn't have spent an hour last night working on December's photos.  And I enjoyed that hour.  Right now, I am keeping it pretty basic.  I'm ordering 4x6 photos from WalMart and cutting them down when necessary.  I'm not spending a lot of time digging through my copious paper crafting stash (it rivals my fabric!!) for the perfect paper or embellishment.  There's a pretty good chance, I might start doing this down the road.  And I'm hopeful that as the year goes on I begin to take more care in my photos, taking more with my good camera and less with my phone.  But for now, our memories are being preserved and that makes me happy.


Thanks for listening!

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, we are so similar. I just spent the entire weekend organizing/donating/recycling my scrapbook supplies. I miss it too, but there are only so many hours in a day! But, we did start some smash books last year (my girls and I) and those were quick and lots of fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a big fan of Elise PL spreads and I'd love to do something similar myself but I already know I don't have the same sort of commitment it takes to do it - congrats on a great start - I love your title page too! Can't wait to see more!
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too adore scrapbooking. It is quite a bit like quilting and so hard to balance withquilting thoigh! Especiallynow that I've started sewing bags and zipper pouches too. Maybe I could donate a weekend a month to scrapbooking and leave the rest for sewing. That way I could still finish my projects but also get in some papercrafting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also a scrapbooker, between my wedding and the first couple months of my son... sadly this obsession had to go. It saddens me that most of my pictures are sitting on a hard drive. They really should be in an album, with some notes and quotes. But between quilting and scrapbooking, the choice is pretty easy for me. I still have my scrapbooking stuff though, waiting...

    ReplyDelete