Monday 13 May 2013

Makeover Monday

A few weeks ago I stopped into my local Habitat Restore on a whim.  I hadn't been having much luck finding anything worth salvaging but I had a few minutes to spare and thought I would take a look.  I'm so glad I listened to my intuition because I found this beauty!

I know she doesn't look like much but the drawers she had worked well, it was a great size and I was recently enamored with this ombre drawer makeover.  I also thought it would work wonderfully as a way to corral all of my girls' arts and crafts supplies.  So I paid my $15 and brought it home.


I made a quick trip to Home Depot and bought my supplies.  I would have loved to do pink and my daughter desperately wanted purple.  But since these would be living in our main living area for an indefinitely period of time I went with a more subdued blue/green.  I simply picked out a paint swatch and had them mix sample of all three colors on it.  I did end up doing some mild custom mixing when I got home to make the ombre a little more subtle.


You can see in the original picture that the veneer was peeling a little at the bottom of the sides.  While I was at Home Depot, I just grabbed some pre primed trim and had them cut it to the proper lengths and added them with wood glue and finishing nails.  Then it was a quick coat of white paint on the main unit, some new pulls and a piece of handy board to make a shelf in the hole left by the missing drawer.


I'm not normally a fan of brass but it just felt right on this piece.  And the pulls are similar to the drawers in the bookshelf that also lives in the living room.  The bottom drawer holds a few board games.  The other two drawers hold paper and coloring books.  The photo boxes hold crayons, markers, glue and other craft supplies.


When (if?) our basement gets finished this will probably move to the playroom, but for now it has a home in our living room and I quite enjoy it.  Even my husband was impressed when he arrived home for a work trip and saw it!  Now I just need to figure out a new art configuration :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there just wanted to say that I adore the ombre restyle you did - the looks great

    ReplyDelete